06272017Headline:

Cincinnati, Ohio

HomeOhioCincinnati

Email Stephanie Day Stephanie Day on LinkedIn Stephanie Day on Twitter Stephanie Day on Facebook
Stephanie Day
Stephanie Day
Contributor •

Christmas Holiday Safety

1 comment

According to the National Fire Protection Association, approximately one tenth of one percent (0.12%) of residential fires involve a Christmas Tree – both real and artificial. Do not overload electric outlets as this and faulty wires are the most common causes of holiday fires in residences.

If you have children, the holidays should be a magical time. Yet each year, hospital emergency rooms treat thousands of people for injuries, such as falls, cuts, and shocks related to holiday decorations. Avoid decorations that are sharp or breakable, and keep trimmings with small removable parts out of reach of children so they are not swallowed. Avoid trimmings that resemble candy or food, which may tempt children to eat them.

Additionally, wear gloves to avoid irritation while decorating with spun glass “angel hair.” Follow directions carefully to avoid lung irritation while decorating with artificial snow sprays. Indoors or outside, always use lights that have been tested by a recognized testing laboratory that indicates compliance with safety standards. Throw out damaged light sets. Use no more than three standard size sets of lights per single extension cord. Plug all outdoor electric decorations into circuits with ground fault circuit interrupters to avoid potential shocks. Keep cords out of walkway areas to reduce tripping hazards. Hopefully, following some of these tips will help you keep the season merry.

1 Comment

Have an opinion about this post? Please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

  1. Nicole Greer says:
    up arrow

    Thank you for the important warnings. Candles also pose a serious risk at the holidays. Close friends lost their house to a fire a few years ago on Christmas morning after blowing out candles and not realizing that the wicks were still smoldering. Not only is it important to never leave candles unattended and to blow them out completely, but it is also important to never set them directly on any flammable surface.